The day before the Lake Biwa canal opened, a wealthy merchant named Nihei Nishimura opened a garden called “Yoshimizu-en” at the current hotel location, overlooking the cityscape of Kyoto. Our history began along with the modernization of Kyoto.
The Miyako had only 18 rooms when it opened. However, we welcomed many overseas guests from countries such as North America, England, and Germany with meticulous service.
When the Taisho Emperor took the throne, a new main dining hall (Aoi-den) was completed as a representative Western banquet hall of Kyoto. In 1924, another new main hall was completed, and these additions solidified our reputation as an international hotel.
We partnered with Westin Hotels, one of America’s three largest hotel chains. After the partnership, in 1970 during the Japan World Exposition, we welcomed government guests of honor from 37 countries and one state as an international hotel.
For the 100th anniversary project, we began to renovate the entire hotel. The newly constructed building was also the last design of architect Togo Murano, who had worked on construction of the hotel for 50 years. In 1991, we hosted the 42nd National Arbor Day celebration which was attended by the emperor and empress.
We became a member of the Westin Hotels group, which we already had a business partnership with, and changed the name to The Westin Miyako Hotel Kyoto. We continuously strive to improve our service quality as a world-class international hotel.